Sunday, April 25, 2010

$133.00 for 4 Days and 877 Miles

I know my habits are often different from most people. When I vacation, I usually rent a car instead of driving my own.

One reason I rent is to force me to calculate the transportation cost when budgeting and deciding among vacation choices. I believe many people disregard vehicle cost when deciding to travel.

Another reason to rent is the life of my own car is extended by not adding the vacation miles to my automobile.

A couple weeks ago my wife and I vacationed four days at Pigeon Forge and the Great Smoky Mountains. We parked our cars at home and drove a rental for 877 miles at a cost of $133 plus fuel. We drove a car that was newer than our own and didn't have the worries of a breakdown on our trip.

When our children were young, we did the same. I'd rent luxury cars that were new, low mileage, and more spacious than the vehicles we owned at that time. We'd go to the beaches in comfort, get sand on the floor mats, and return the car for someone else to clean.

Does renting a car for your vacation make sense?

Have a good week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home