Friday, November 03, 2006

Classic Bed



















The pictures here show a bed made of solid walnut. I followed the plans which were published in Woodsmith magazine in December, 1996. This is a sturdy bed which does not sag or shake when weight is added.

This bed is one of four I built following this design. Two were built with walnut, one with quartersawn red oak, and one from cherry. Three beds are full size and one queen size.

I used lumber that I milled from logs. After one year of air curing, I processed the boards to build these beds for our family.

Return here on Monday, November 6 for an update.

Have a good day!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5/16/2007 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

What type of finish did you use? I've always used Deft Brushing Lacquer on my projects.

 
At 5/17/2007 6:17 AM, Blogger Mike Mabe said...

I used a mixture of tung oil, turpentine, and linseed oil. I rub several coats onto the wood with a rag. Then finished it by rubbing bee wax and buffing it with steel wool.

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home