Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bleak House


























Have you heard the expression "I thank you a thousand times" or "I apologize a thousand times"?

A couple years ago a friend and old man used that phrase when he thanked me for something I did for him.  When he said those words, it occurred to me that I'd never before heard a thank you delivered that way.  His words stuck with me.

My wife and I watched BBC's 2005 miniseries of Charles Dickens' "Bleak House".   There were 15 episodes around 35 minutes each.  I enjoyed the series immensely; my attention was riveted to the screen.  

While watching the episodes, I heard characters use the "thousand times" phrase twice, once for a thank you and the other, an apology. These three are the only times I've heard sentiments phrased that way.

Another unique feature throughout the series was the way light was used on the faces of the characters.  Scene background was often dark and many times characters faces were partially shadowed just like on the DVD cover above. This made the faces, voices, and words the main focus.

Finally, there was agape love throughout and no scenes of sex and nudity.  The two young women characters were Esther Summerson and Ada Clare who were plain looking, but their manners, speech, attitudes, kindness, and goodwill made them extremely beautiful women and highly sought by the men around them.  I could write a thousand words more about Charles Dickens' Bleak House, but this might be enough to arouse your interest to view the classic story. 

Have a good week!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home