Monday, January 23, 2006

Saint Ralph

We watched a great movie last weekend about a teenage boy on a quest to perform a miracle to save his mother. His mother was in a prolonged coma and not expected to live. Ralph was in a Catholic School and wanted desperately to save his mother. The miracle to save her involved him getting prepared to run in the Boston Marathon and winning the race there. He faced obstacles in every direction he turned and got little support from fellow students, teachers, and school administrators. His charm and perseverance carried him beyond the roadblocks.

If you are like me, the movie will make you chuckle and laugh, tear-up, and cheer this young boy.
I could see a some part of me in every character in the movie. Some of the attitudes and mind-sets I indentified with in some characters did not make me feel proud. So, perhaps I should be more sensitive and temper my outlook in those areas and personally grow.

The movie is available on DVD and is rated PG-13. Thanks, Joan, for the recommendation.

2 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation- I really enjoyed the movie! Give more suggestions,please.

 
At 2/02/2006 9:42 AM, Blogger Mike Mabe said...

I recommend "October Sky" for inspiration and student, family, and teacher relationships. It's based on a true story. See, also, the bonus material that accompanies the movie on DVD.

I recommend "The Straight Story" for lessons about life and living.
Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home