Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How Do I Say "Thank You"?

How do I express thanks to an author who enlightened me by writing a book for which I gained insight and perspective by reading? I suppose I could write him a letter or send an email message. On the other hand, my payment of retail price for his book is, perhaps, thanks enough and the only feedback expected.

Niall Ferguson is Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University, a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, and a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.

I invested $26.00 and twenty hours to read The War of the World Twentieth Century Conflict and the Descent of the West by Niall Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson's acknowledgements indicated "the book has been at least ten years in the making and many hands contributed to the work. At least a dozen students helped with the research during vacations.......they not only helped to dig, but also to build."

Mr. Ferguson proposes that the twentieth century, in all its modernity, was the most violent in all of history.

I've read two other books by Niall Ferguson: The Cash Nexus Money and Power in the Modern World 1700-2000 and Colossus The price of America's Empire.

The books were enlightening and instructive.

I will use this blog to say thank you to Mr. Ferguson for his good works. Perhaps, by happenstance, he or one of his researchers will discover this message of thanks.

How do you thank authors of books for reading enjoyment you've experienced?

Have a good week!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home