Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How True It Is.

.....
.....
If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deeddle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yiddle-diddle-didle-didle man.

I see my wife, my Golde, looking like a rich man's wife
With a proper double chin.
Supervising meals to her heart's delight.
I see her putting on airs and strutting like a peacock.
Oy, what a happy mood she's in.
Screaming at the servants, day and night.

The most important men in town would come to fawn on me.
They would ask me to advise them,
Like a Solomon the Wise.
"If you please, Reb Tevye..."
"Pardon me, Reb Tevye..."
Posing problems that would cross a Rabbi's eyes!
And it won't make one bit of difference if I answer right or wrong.
When you're rich, they think you really know!
...
...

The above lyrics, by Sheldon Harnick and music by Jerry Bock, are from If I Were a Rich Man performed in the play and movie musical Fiddler on the Roof.

I've learned many lessons in my 60 years of life's experiences and the message expressed above is just one convoluted truth I've observed.

On a lighter note: As a regular morning patron at Old Richmond Grill, I laughed and talked with friends and neighbors about many topics including the difficulties associated with aging. One 71 year old neighbor joked and said: "If I'd known I would live this long, I would've taken better care of myself." Those of us sipping coffee around our tables laughed at his comedy.

Have a good week!
















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home