Sunday, August 29, 2010

Macon, Jackson, and Transylvania Counties, North Carolina

Macon, Jackson, Transylvania Counties are 3rd, 4th, & 5th from the bottom left, click to enlarge


I feel personal growth from the experiences of seven days while vacationing in three North Carolina counties where I'd never before been.  As a person my age and native of this state, I'd never ventured into these mountain counties of the Tar Heel State.

Transylvania County is a four-hour drive from my home in Forsyth County where I live in a suburb of Winston-Salem. My wife and I time-shared a condo in Sapphire Valley near Cashiers for a week and spent every day exploring and sightseeing the mountains, streams, waterfalls, national and state parks, and other scenic places.  We were joined for 3 days and 2 nights by friends from Winston-Salem. The couple along with us enjoyed immensely the time and places.

I plan to explain and show pictures over the next few weeks about why this area is special and a desirable place to vacation.

Have a good week!   

2 Comments:

At 8/29/2010 9:02 AM, Anonymous Linda Martin said...

Mike, Phil and I love that part of the state. We have been to Highlands and the area around there many times. Next time you go, pan for gems. I still wear the 9 carat garnet I panned there one time.
Another part of the mountains we love is the area around Murphy and Brasstown. There is a great school there, the John C Campbell Folk School which, each year, around the first weekend of October has a wonderful festival of mountain crafts and skills. Such a WONDERFUL state, North Carolina! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

 
At 8/29/2010 9:53 AM, Blogger Mike Mabe said...

Linda,

I am impressed by the variety and quality of activities you and Phil have done. I am aware of your camping in the Smoky's, kayaking of rivers and waterways, and now your experiences the the mountains of Western North Carolina. I will remember your suggestions. Did you see on FB where Doreen and I visited Lenoir-Rhyne campus as you suggested?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home