Thursday, January 26, 2006

More on Technology

Yesterday, my daughter boarded a plane and flew to Detroit and then on to Seattle. This flight was the start of what is to become a permanent relocation to that city. She will begin working for a large corporation there, Microsoft. Her husband will follow in a couple weeks after he leaves his job and closes the sale on their house in Cary.

It would be very easy for me to be sad over this long distance move away from our home area. I came to terms with this by reflecting on my wife's parents when they moved from the "North" to the "South" in the 1950's. I'm sure their families and friends around Brooklyn felt angst when they departed. I look at how the lives of my in-laws unfolded and eventually encompassed me through marriage to their daughter. My life has been wonderful as a result. A similar unfolding of a wonderful life is in their future.

Anyway, I will return to technology. I was given a video camera which is now mounted on the top edge of my computer monitor. It's a tiny device made by Logitech. The software is loaded into my desktop computer. When I turn it on, my face and the den behind me is in view on the monitor. Several people could be in this video if they gathered around. My daughter will have the same type video camera on her computer and we will be able to talk and see each other on our monitors through Internet connection. It has been pointed out to me that, now, we will need to comb our hair and dress up to talk with our daughter. Oh well, this high-tech gadgetry has a downside.

I must get ready to "sub" for a sick teacher in a local high school. You have a good day!



2 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
Please let Doreen have most of the camera time. You should work more "behind the scenes"!

 
At 1/26/2006 2:24 PM, Blogger t browder said...

Mike,
I almost forgot, email Jennifer's address and phone info to me so I can pass it to my brother in Seattle.
Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home