Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thank You, Golden Corral
























When someone wants to do something nice for you, let them. That's the mindset I embraced when I went to Golden Corral on 11/13/06 to join other veterans for dinner. For several years now the Golden Corral has honored veterans by feeding us a dinner meal around Veterans Day.

This free meal in 400 restaurants in 40 states is an incredible expression of appreciation extended to vets young and old. This was the second year I've joined them for this evening dinner of anything on their menu. The line of veterans and sometimes their spouses extended into the parking lot. The line moved quickly considering the large number of people eating. The wait- staff hustled in the dining rooms as the kitchen staff kept replenishing the food bars. It was service with a smile from all employees of the restaurant.

Due to another commitment, my wife couldn't join me this year so I went alone. I walked up to the end of the line behind a lady who recognized me as one who grew up in a neighborhood with her in the 1950's. I hadn't seen her in 40 plus years, I suppose. I talked with her and her husband, who served in Vietnam, as we slowly advanced to the inside. It was good to get reacquainted with this former neighbor and schoolmate who is now retired from a career at RJR Archer.

As I moved to the cash register inside, I collected my tray and water. The cashier handed me the receipt. (see above receipt which reads "military appreciat" Total $ 0.00) I progressed into the dining area where all tables were occupied by veterans and families eating all they could hold. I found an available seat where another veteran was eating alone so I joined him. We ate and talked about our military service experiences. He was in the Navy for four years in the late fifties and was from Connecticut. His name was Woodrow Wilson II. He said there would be no Woodrow Wilson IV because his son, the 3rd, had recently died without a son.

Anyway, we had an enjoyable talk and a wonderful meal compliments of Golden Corral. I hope you will patronize this restaurant throughout the year.

I thank the Golden Corral Corporate Office team as well as the restaurant managers and employees in Winston-Salem.

Return here on Tuesday, November 21 for an update.

Have a good day!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home