Sunday, September 28, 2008

Young @ Heart

























My wife and I watched an excellent documentary last weekend. Young @ Heart2008, on DVD was directed by Stephen Walker.

A group of elderly men and women get together to practice singing. These folks are in their seventies and eighties, from different backgrounds, and possess all features common with elderly people. Their smiles, attitudes, and attempts at singing were amazing.

My favorite scene was when the ensemble sang in a prison.  They sang on the prison grounds to incarcerated men and their guards.  They sang "Forever Young". The humbled look on the prisoners' faces suggested rehabilitation if only temporary.   My wife and I wiped tears.

Another outstanding scene was when they performed in a bowling alley.  The grand finale, however, was when the group performed on stage in a theater to a sold out crowd.  The overflow crowd of all ages went wild with applause at the end of the performance.

The senior I admired most was Fred Knittle who was heavy with a rotund abdomen and an oxygen tank at his side.  He was so witty and had a deep baritone voice.  The conductor of the group was Bob Cilman and the work he did with the group warmed my heart.  I dabbed many tears throughout the film.

You can view the trailer at iTunes.

If you get the opportunity, watch this movie.

Have a good day!

1 Comments:

At 12/22/2008 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this movie, Mike!
Sarah Jane told me about it so we went together. It's good to have a hip teenager and a hip father-in-law.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home