Monday, May 15, 2006

Compost

I almost always collect grass clippings when I mow my lawn. I combine these clippings with leaves I piled in one spot during the fall. The pile grows big throughout the year as I add watermelon rinds, tomato peel, etc to this compost.

In an effort to speed the decay process, I use my tractor and front-end loader to stir the pile two or three times per year. I also haul water from the spring in 55 gallon barrels and pour onto the pile. Water accelerates decomposition.

After about three years, I move the material onto my garden and till it into the existing dirt. The garden spot you've seen in previous pictures is the result of over twenty years of the above described process. I add lime and chemical fertilizer to grow our favorite garden plants.

Have a good day!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home