Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Farm Tips



If you live on a farm or large lot, you are aware of how saplings, limbs, and briars can grow along the edge of fields or behind barns or buildings. This is the time of year to cut back this growth. Left unattended this growth will cause your fields to get smaller. Winter is the best time to do this work because it's cooler, snakes are in hibernation, and stinging insects are not active. Here is how I cut and removed growth from behind one of my buildings. I chain sawed the saplings, vines, and hedge. I manually piled the brush in one spot. The pile was as big as a car or truck. I then used the tractor and front-end loader with forks and grapple to lift and carry the brush pile away. I could have chipped this material, but I chose to locate the piles to another place on the property and let it decay there. As this big brush pile decays, it will serve as shelter and nesting place for small animals and birds.

Have a good day!

2 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger t browder said...

Mike,
As I look out over my estate, I see some stray pine limbs that blew down in the last windstorm. Please drop by with your pickup, and retrieve them after school is out!
Tim

 
At 2/07/2006 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mike!!
I hope you have a wonderful day today,
joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home