Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Friendly Talk

A good friend and I were talking while standing in his backyard. Our pleasant and friendly conversation was taking place as we walked from his woodworking shop to my vehicle. We have conversations like this often on the telephone or while visiting. We discuss life, experiences, people, places, philosophy, and opinion.

This moment our conversation turned to knowledge and intelligence. He said to me "everybody is stupid about something. I can inform you about something you don't know and you can do same to me. If somebody doesn't seem informed about a topic, a judgment about that person's intellect should not be concluded". I agreed.

I have long held that view as it relates to adults and young people. All of us have remarked or heard others say something about young people not learning something about which we have knowledge, training, or experience. It is usually said in a denigrating tone. When I think of young people, I remind myself that they were born only a few years ago. It takes them several years to learn to walk, then a few more to talk, and even more to read and write. Be patient! Furthermore, the things they are learning today is, more often than not, better than what I learned at their age.


I've got places to go, things to do, people to interact with, and responsibilities to belly up to!
I must get going. Have a good day!

3 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one question - when do you sleep????

Check out the times on this and previous articles!

 
At 2/02/2006 6:05 AM, Blogger Mike Mabe said...

The Blog time and date stamp was not set correctly for my time zone. See February 2 entry about sleep and notice the time. I changed the setting and believe it's correct now. Thanks for calling attention to this time.

Mike

 
At 2/02/2006 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Mike, nice choice on that image!
Who painted it?
-joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home